Picture of Is there one thing you wish you'd known before you applied?

Is there one thing you wish you'd known before you applied?

Picture of Mattie
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Mattie C.

Category: Experience

Date asked: Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Last reviewed: Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Picture of Mattie C.

Mattie C.

Facilities Water Services Manager

Hello! This is a great question. As a new engineer who has just graduated college or is getting ready to graduate, it can be hard to put your name out there and feel confident in yourself, at least that is how I felt when I started applying. I had a summer internship, but outside of that I didn't feel like I had a whole lot of "real world experience" to offer Micron or other companies I was applying with. I assumed that I wouldn't stand out. However, I wish that I had known a little better what companies look at and what they look for in new college grads. The biggest things I have found that are highly valued are your involvement in extracurriculars in college, your problem solving process, and your general fit with your team. We obviously also look at academic performance, but I wish I had known that that was not a determining factor. I think that I would have felt much more comfortable and confident in myself going into those interviews. I think it is also really important to know that interviews are just as much a time for you to interview the company as it is for them to interview you. Ask questions, see how you like the feel of the community. You want to pick a company that makes you feel comfortable and that you would be proud to be a part of. For me, Micron made that choice easy! They made me feel welcomed in the interview process. I felt the most comfortable out of any of the other interviews I had. I align closely with Micron's values. And I could tell this was a team I wanted to be a part of. So, my best advice and piece of knowledge I wish I knew was: Be comfortable, be confident, and interview the company to ensure it is a company you will be excited to be a part of. Mattie

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?