Picture of Tell me about the hardest thing about your job?

Tell me about the hardest thing about your job?

Picture of Mattie
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Mattie C.

Category: General

Date asked: Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Last reviewed: Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Picture of Mattie C.

Mattie C.

Facilities Water Services Manager

One of the hardest things about my job as a lead engineer is deciding when to make a decision based on the data I have. As a lead engineer, I work rotations on nights and I don't always have access to the individuals with the most amount of knowledge. It is my job to determine if we have enough data to proceed down one path or another. As an engineer, my gut instinct is to collect more data if I'm not 100% confident. But this position has taught me to take smart risks and make decisions when I need to. It's hard to really know when I have enough data but my general guideline has been that if I can make a smart decision with the knowledge I and the others on shift have and that I can back up if asked about it, then I will proceed. While this is challenging for me, I think that I have really learned a lot and grown in my job and in my confidence. I was pushed to learn the position well and have the confidence to guide my team when needed. We will all make mistakes eventually, but the great thing about working at Micron is we have so much support when we do make mistakes and we take time to learn and document those instances so we avoid any future instances. Even after only 4 years at Micron, the atmosphere has made me feel comfortable enough to know that my mistakes will not define me nor will they follow me. And I know that I will get support in resolving and recovering from any negative impacts my mistake may have caused.

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?