Picture of How is the day-to-day like for a software engineer at Micron?

How is the day-to-day like for a software engineer at Micron?

Picture of Caleb
1 response

Abdulrahman Ahmed Labib Sayed A. asked a question to Engineering & Science

Category: Day to Day

Date asked: Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Last reviewed: Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Picture of Caleb E.

Caleb E.

Organizational Management

I lead a team of Manufacturing Engineers who are focused on developing software-based solutions using SQL, Tableau, and other similar programs to aid in manufacturing operations, so while I might not be able to answer directly for a software engineer, I can definitely share from my team's perspective. On any given day my team members are working on assigned projects. The projects are assigned based on each individual's strengths and desires to grow (so if I have a team member who wants to grow their knowledge of SQL, they might take on an SQL-based project, for example). Most of the time my team members could have multiple projects they are working on at once, so we meet bi-weekly to discuss how their projects are going, what roadblocks they might have encountered, what support they might need, and to also make sure that we are aligned on priorities. With the solutions we are building, we often need feedback from stakeholders, so some of their time might be spent collaborating with those individuals or working with testers to make sure that our solutions are providing accurate data and/or performing as desired. I also engage my team in planning for future team members (to help with onboarding and training), encourage them to provide feedback on new initiatives and programs, and we frequently brainstorm new ideas in a group setting (whether that be in-person, via Zoom, or a hybrid model). Outside of the expectations of their role, our team members can engage in a variety of other activities, such as Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion (DEI) Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), volunteering, using our wellness spaces on-site, utilizing one of our fitness centers, or working on their personal growth through our workforce development curriculum and training. All of this is encouraged and during regular meetings with my team members we discuss the activities they are involved in outside of the expectations of their role so that I can support them where I'm able to do so.

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?