Picture of How was your first experience when you started working at Micron?

How was your first experience when you started working at Micron?

Picture of Marco
Picture of Mattie
12 responses

Additional information

I am Jonathan, an electronics engineering major at Norfolk State University with a passion in electronics. There may sometimes be a drastic change between academic life and life in the industry. How was that change like to you and how did the culture in Micron help you settle n and adjust?

Jonathan A. asked during the live chat LiveChat with Micron team members from North America and EMEA to Micron

Category: Experience

Date asked: Thursday, January 13, 2022

Last reviewed: Thursday, January 13, 2022

Picture of Marco P.

Marco P.

Marketing

Hi Jonathan, thank you very much for your question. My first experience with Micron was actually great! When you join a company there always are a lot of new systems / softwares you need to learn, and can be time consuming and even confusing some time...at Micron I had the feeling everything was very well structured, and my start was very smooth

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Picture of Mattie C.

Mattie C.

Facilities Water Services Manager

Hi Johnathan, my experience from transitioning from my undergrad as a ChemE major to Micron was very smooth. As Marco mentions, Micron provides great training and learning experiences. I was set up with a mentor who helped me transition. It was also a very positive shock to see how much more free time I had when I didn't have to school to focus on after work :) There were many positive changes with this transition.

Picture of Jonathan A.

Jonathan A.

Oh ok. That great to know. Does it mean there is a period Micron offers training before you actually start your main responsibilities? Thanks, Mattie. That's really great to hear.

Picture of Mattie C.

Mattie C.

Johnathan, in regards to training period - Yes, Micron definitely offers a training period. There is generally ~2 weeks depending on your role. Also, it is very commonly recognized that gaining the knowledge to do your responsibilities takes time. In my first role as a Process Engineer my boss told me it would take me about a year to fully work on my own. There is a lot of knowledge that must be gained and training in programs. While this took time, there were plenty of things I could do on my own but I wouldn't say I was fully independent until ~ 1 year in.

Picture of Milind F.

Milind F.

DEG Design Engineering Manager - ESD

Jonathan, absolutely. Micron has training programs and bootcamps that are provided before you start the role. These training programs are defined based on the role. You will also be assigned a mentor in the team to help you guide through this transition and with any of your questions. Your manager will be the focal point of contact too. You will also find that throughout your career at Micron, as your role evolves you will also be offered trainings to support that evolution.

Picture of Jonathan A.

Jonathan A.

I also want to know the a defining moment during your career in Micron that aligned with Micron's core values and made you realize how it impacted change in the world?

Picture of Milind F.

Milind F.

I have a couple of examples here, one with respect to technology and manufacturing process and other w.r.t. education. Education is near to my heart so I will elaborate here on that. I personally value the importance of education a lot and understand that education of a child can uplift the entire family, community and society too. I volunteer to teach and tutor children of various ages for Math and Science. When I interviewed for Micron, a panelist asked me on that aspect of my resume and about my other various volunteering activities and interests. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Micron paid attention to individuals values for technical roles as well. Fast forward to a few years later, I was approached by a team for a volunteering opportunity as they noted during my interview that I am interested in it. I was selected to participate in a bootcamp for STEM education for girls and children. I have been doing that for three years now and last year I was given an opportunity to lead the program. However, we found a better candidate to lead the program as my personal commitments last year did not allow me to allocate the time required for a lead. I still participate in it though. Anyway, I saw the fruits of our efforts from the first year of volunteering, when we hired one of the students I worked with in the bootcamp as a high school student back then in an engineering role and also heard various other success stories of other girls/children that we worked with. My heart was filled with happiness that these people are now giving back through various Micron initiatives as the ripple effect grows further. Definitely made me realize how positively we impact the world here and how my core values are aligned here at Micron! :)

Picture of Jonathan A.

Jonathan A.

That is a really insightful experience and thanks a lot for sharing.

Picture of Deepak D.

Deepak D.

Hi Mattie, How is your experience in maintaining a good work-life balance at Micron? What are the nice things in Micron which you liked which supports for good work-life balance? Thanks!

Picture of Deepak D.

Deepak D.

Hi Erika, Manae, Milind, Macro, How is your experience in maintaining a good work-life balance at Micron? What are the nice things in Micron which you liked which supports for good work-life balance? Thanks!

Picture of Mattie C.

Mattie C.

Hi Deepak, Micron does a great job encouraging us to have a good work-life balance. Teams will cover for you while you are on vacation so you don't have to check in on your time off. Micron has a great time off program as well. I always have enough time off to do the things I want to do. Further, Micron has many wellness benefits such for mental, physical and emotional health. It is very clear that Micron cares about us as individuals.

Picture of Milind F.

Milind F.

Hi Deepak, in addition to what Mattie mentioned, we have a great parental leave program (probably one of the best). Micron helps us balance time with volunteering as well. And everyone in my team really helps each other out when in need. My manager and leaders focus on worklife balance and schedule meetings across global teams accordingly too.

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?