Picture of How was your onboarding experience?

How was your onboarding experience?

1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Micron

Category: Experience

Date asked: Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Last reviewed: Monday, September 27, 2021

Nimi Z.

Senior Pricing Analyst

I've had two different onboarding experiences - for my internship, and then to join full-time - and I'll highlight their pros and cons. In both cases, Micron was proactive in sending paperwork that needed to be completed ahead of time, which I appreciated. I first onboarded in summer 2019 at the Longmont, CO site. It started with an official HR onboarding session and working with IT to get my work laptop set up. Afterwards I met my team and supervisor, who had prepared a "first week checklist" of people I should meet and tasks I should shadow. Since this was pre-COVID, everything was in person and I quickly felt at home in this new work environment. The only con would be I didn't spend as much time virtually networking with team members at Micron's other sites since I was so engaged with in-person activities. After my internship, I graduated with an MBA and joined Micron full-time in June 2020. I onboarded remotely so it was a completely different experience. My first day started with a four-hour Zoom session with HR, which was excellent even with everyone adapting and the fact I was using my personal laptop perched on top of moving boxes in my living room. Then I did quite a bit of troubleshooting with IT to get my work laptop to set up, as we were reviving my internship laptop, but IT was very patient and ultimately we succeeded. The rest of my onboarding was self-directed since I rejoined the same team from my internship and had a game plan for picking up where I left off. So, overall the biggest con was missing in-person interaction, but in exchange I've gotten used to meeting people virtually and am more comfortable reaching out to people all over the globe.

Monday, September 27, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?